Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) Applications
Should I apply for a Variance?
Keep in mind, applying for a variance through the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) is not a guarantee a variance will be granted. An application to the ZBA must detail a hardship or practical difficulty unique to the subject parcel.
A variance is authorization from the ZBA to use property in a manner otherwise forbidden by the Zoning Regulations. For a variance to be granted two conditions must be met: 1) the variance must be shown not to substantially affect the comprehensive zoning plan, and 2) adherence to the regulations must be shown to cause unusual hardship. Such hardship must be unique, which means that the property has physical characteristics different from other properties in the area.
ZBA Application Procedure
Before submitting a ZBA application, property owners should read the following:
- Instructions & Information for Completing ZBA Applications
- Post-ZBA Approval Critical Timelines
- Zoning Board of Appeals - Rules of Procedure
- ZBA Application Form
- Zoning Board Of Appeals Meeting Schedule and Filing Deadlines
- Fees associated with ZBA applications
A ZBA application must include a digital file (PDF) and three (3) collated print sets of:
- A complete and accurate ZBA Application form (please refer to the Guidelines for Applicants above),
- Class A-2 survey with applicable information,
- Dimensioned, scaled general arrangement project drawings, as applicable,
- Additional information may be required.
Submitting the completed ZBA application:
Please review the Meeting Schedule and Filing Deadlines. Also note that the filing deadlines do not guarantee that your application will be heard on the corresponding date. No more than five (5) applications are scheduled per meeting.
The digital (PDF) version of the application must be emailed to Tammy Maldonado, Zoning Enforcement Officer.
Additionally, three (3) collated paper copies of the application form and all documentation must be submitted to the Planning & Zoning Office. The P&Z Office is located in City Hall, Room 129. We are open Monday through Friday from 8:30AM to 4:00PM.
Application Fee: You will be contacted for payment of the application fee. We accept payment by credit or debit card.