Storefront Improvement Program
The purpose of the Storefront Improvement Program is to encourage businesses and property owners within commercial corridors to improve the front exterior of their commercial properties, making these areas more attractive to shoppers and growing their vitality and economic performance.
City of Norwalk property owners or tenants can access financial resources to renovate or restore commercial building exterior facades through the Storefront Improvement Program. A total of $50,000 of grant funding is available every year through the Small Business and Main Streets Program.
Step One - Is your project eligible? Are funds available?
- Email email@example.com or call 203-854-7948, to find out if your project is eligible and if funding is still available.
- If it is eligible and there are available funds, you may move on to step two.
Step Two - ApplyClick here to print the application
1. Once you are ready to apply you will need:
- Color, digital photographs of your storefront and immediate surroundings
- Illustrations showing the proposed improvements (if applicable)
- Contractor estimates (at least two - if applicable)
- Letter granting permission from property owner if different from the applicant
- Completed application
2. Send your application by email to Sabrina Church at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 125 East Avenue, Room 122, Attn: Sabrina Church, Norwalk, CT 06851.3. Applications will be reviewed for completeness and design (if applicable). Application review usually takes 2-4 weeks. You will be notified that the application has been received and whether anything is missing. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You MUST wait for approval before beginning work or purchasing goods.
Step Three – Begin work and purchase goods
- Receive approval letter then sign and return W-9 and Reimbursement Requirements forms
- Get quotes and estimates from at least 3 contractors or retailers depending on the price of the work/item/project.
- Hire a contractor (if needed) or purchase goods (planters, seating, etc.)
- Obtain building, zoning, and Redevelopment Agency permits/approvals (if needed)
- Approved applicants have up to six (6) months to complete proposed improvements
- Complete installation/improvements
Step Four – Receive funds
- Submit completion documents:
- Copies of final invoices from contractors showing payment in full
- Proof of payment in the form of copies of cancelled checks (front & back), credit card statements, or money orders. If you pay your contractor in cash we will be unable to reimburse you.
- Copies of any required permits
- Color photographs of the completed work
2. Receive reimbursement within 1-2 weeks.